Saturday, August 9, 2008

Victoria's first day in Malawi

Victoria is a visitor from Fresno. She has been on other mission trips but this was her first to Malawi.

May 22, 2008

Due to some complications I arrived in Blantyre, Malawi today. Bro. Gentry and Bro. Chuck picked me up from the airport took me over to Bro. Gentry’s home. We ate breakfast and fellowship together. What I enjoyed the most is spending some quality time with Bro. Gentry and what he is doing here in the ministry. I praise the Lord for allowing me to be here. I’m looking forward to the days to come to leave this place, and say that I’ve done all that I can here.
Bro Gentry has asked me to spend a lot of time with the teen girls and their mentor in regards to spiritual things. I feel very privileged, but yet so incapable of the task. He also wants me to have a couple soul winning classes with the teenage girls so that this Sunday we can run our first bus route. Lord please help me to be what I ought to be while I’m here in Malawi.
As soon as I arrived in the orphanage. There was a lot of mixed emotions you may think why???? Well, when I got myself situated in the round house. The orphans were in school still, but they were all sitting by my house just looking at me, it was sort of sweet. I’m not trying to boast myself up, but where ever I went the kids wanted to be with me. So, I went ahead and sat down around them and started to ask them their names. There were so many names that I could not remember all of their names, but my own; the reason why is because there is a girl that has my name. I asked them if they wanted to play a quick game. They were very excited to see that the Nsungu or the American girl wanted to play with them. I ended up playing with them steal the beacon. It was pretty hard to explain to 100+ kids, but we surely had a good time. By the time we were done it was probably about 3pm. I did not know that the kids were in school when I had arrived earlier, but they had canceled school due to the fact that they where very excited to play with me.
On the other hand it is about 6pm here in Malawi and I’m very tired!!! It has been a very long day.

No comments: